It's finally Spring and I'm looking forward to a road trip and a visit with David. His letters have been very positive, full of acceptance of the limitations of his situation but also of hope for a better future. I know that we both will have lots to say during the two-day visit I'm hoping for. BUT, I can't seem to make a reservation. I've been calling the Visiting number since Wednesday and getting either a busy signal or a long ring followed by the message that Visiting is sorry for the inconvenience, they hope I'll be patient and ask that I call back later. This has never happened before. As I said in my first post, it's usually a redial situation to get through, but never have I had to call day after day and still not gotten an appointment. The biggest problem with all of this is that reservations are limited and only available for 30 days forward. So I'm having a little trouble creating a schedule that won't conflict too much with obligations at home.
I know what David would say. He would remind me that visiting is a privilege, not guaranteed and that he is grateful for every visit. He is probably much more evolved than I am, and certainly more than anyone else in our family.
But I want to talk with him about the changes in his environment and about his health. He tells me that an additional 300 or so inmates have arrived at LOCI and that there have been budget problems that have resulted in equipment like microwaves going unrepaired. Some who see this might question the presence of microwaves in prisons in the first place. I understand that. But many prisoners cook their own food in an attempt to stay healthy. They buy canned fish and whole grain items in their commissary because those things aren't part of the regular prison diet. It should also be noted that recently there was a 7% increase in all commissary prices.
Regardless, it seems to me to be a security issue that equipment and systems be working. As I have said in other blogs at other times, most prisoners will be released, and while prison time should not be comfortable, it should be safe and conducive to rehabilitation that will help a former inmate rejoin the community. There is no value to anyone in dumping sick, angry, untrained people into situations where they will allow their desperation to make bad choices for them and for us.
I will try the redial again tomorrow.
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Redial
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment